The new site theme, "community 2", is now online and enabled by default. To avoid rendering issues, please refresh your browser caches! (usually pressing Ctrl-R or F5 twice will do the trick)
Please report any issues you come across at the bug tracker!
- Improved frontpage! Important content is now visible without scrolling.
- Better layout, which places emphasis on content rather than chrome or secondary elements (blocks).
- Fluid design, which should scale better to tiny netbook monitors and mobile browsers, with further improvements planned.
- The navigation menu is now centered to the page, which improves usability with large resolutions (1920x1080+).
- More consistent font sizing between different browsers and operating systems (using font-size-adjust property for browsers that support it - Firefox 3.x as of right now).
- Improved support for Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 6. (Two IE6 issues remain: png alpha and invalid positioning on the frontpage).
- Slightly simpler markup and CSS.
Loading speed should be roughly the same as with the old theme: the markup, CSS and new frontpage are all simpler, but the new logo is 50% larger than the previous one (if only JPGs supported alpha channels!)
Fluid layouts are pretty tricky to implement and community 2 employs a few tricks to allow for resizable background images and center a number of elements. I can post more technical details if someone is interested in those.
This theme has been tested to work correctly on IE7-8, Fx 1-3.5, Chrome 2.0-4.x, Safari 3.x-4.x, Opera 9.2-10.10.
I'd love to hear your opinion, suggestions and comments on community 2. Give it a try and see how it works for you - if you still prefer the old theme, it is available under your account settings as "community" (but please post why you prefer the old theme!)