OpenTK provides .Net wrappers for a various important native APIs: OpenGL, OpenGL ES, OpenAL and OpenCL (in progress). Unlike similar libraries, OpenTK places an emphasis in usability and developer efficiency, while staying true to the nature of the native interface. To that end, it utilizes a number of .Net constructs that are not available in native C by default:
- Strongly-typed enum parameters instead of integer constants.
- Generics instead of void pointers.
- Namespaces instead of function prefixes ('gl', 'al').
- Function overloads instead of function suffices (
- Automatic extension loading.
- Inline documentation for functions and parameters, accessible through IDE tooltips (intellisense).
- CLS-compliance, which makes the bindings usable by all .Net languages.
- Cross-platform support, which allows the bindings to be used by any platform supported by .Net or Mono.
The bindings are generated through an automated binding generator, which converts the official API specifications into C# code. The following pages describe the generation process in detail.
Official API specifications:
- OpenGL: http://www.opengl.org/registry
- OpenGL ES: http://www.khronos.org/registry/gles/
- OpenAL: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx
- OpenCL: http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/